Introduction to Farm House: Forest View (Howard County, Maryland) of Farm House
Forest View (Howard County, Maryland) of farm houseForest View is a historic building located near Marriottsville, Howard County, Maryland, United States. The farm on which this house was built was a speculative venture that was begun 18601861, which was rare for that time period. In time production at the farm ended and the property was subdivided. Unlike many Howard County farms that suffered the same fate, the house was preserved. It is a 2-story frame structure with a kitchen wing that extends out the back of the house. The original block was built in 1861, and additions have subsequently been added to the house including a second story over the kitchen wing. The Gothic Revival decorative features were added in the late 19th or early 20th century. The house's final form was realized about 1936. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017..------James Soloman Biery of farm houseJames Soloman Biery (March 2, 1839 December 3, 1904) was a Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania.James S. Biery was born on a farm in Venango County, Pennsylvania near Emlenton. He attended the district schools, a select school of the county, and the Emlenton Academy. He taught school for three years in the oil regions of Pennsylvania. He moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania, in 1861 and continued teaching for eight years. He studied theology for two years, and subsequently studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1868 and commenced practice in Allentown. He served as a member of the Pennsylvania State House of Representatives in 1869.Biery was elected as a Republican to the Forty-third Congress. He was not a candidate for renomination in 1874. He resumed the practice of law at Allentown and also engaged in literary pursuits. He died in Allentown in 1904. Interment in Fairview Cemetery.------William and Amanda J. Ellis Farmstead Historic District of farm houseThe William and Amanda J. Ellis Farmstead Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located near Elliott, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015. At the time of its nomination it contained four resources, which included two contributing buildings, and two non-contributing buildings. William and Amanda Jane Ellis owned this farm from 1882 to 1919. During that time the Queen Anne style house with Stick influences and the heavy timber frame barn were built. Both were constructed around 1900. Two garages are the non-contributing buildings.The two-story, frame house is a T-plan structure with five gables. Four of the gables are decorated with knob-like beads and rosettes. The barn is three bays wide with a broken gable type roof with shed-gables. The central section is taller than its flanking sheds. The style was popular from 1900 into the 1920s.------James Turner (Maryland politician) of farm houseJames Turner (November 7, 1783 March 28, 1861) was a United States Congressional representative from Maryland.Turner was born near Bel Air, Maryland, and completed preparatory studies at the Classic Academy of Madonna, Maryland. He was captain of militia in the War of 1812. Afterwards, he moved to Parkton, Maryland, in 1811 and established a dairy farm. He served as collector of State and county taxes in 1817, and served as a justice of the peace in 1824. He was a member of the Maryland House of Delegates from 1824 to 1833, and was elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Congresses, where he served from March 4, 1833, to March 3, 1837. He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection to Congress, but he again served in the House of Delegates in 1837 and 1838 and also as member of the Maryland Senate from 1855 to 1859. He engaged in farming at Parkton until his death, and is interred in Bethel Cemetery near Madonna, Maryland.------The House of farm houseFilley built the house for his son Jay in 1834. It is a stone building, built in a Greek Revival style. The walls are made of rubblestone and multi-colored traprock. The floor plan is unusual, consisting of two intersecting wings. The primary living quarters were in the west wing. Filley's decision to build a stone house was partly motivated by the desire of his son, but he was also aware that a stone house was becoming a status symbol in the area. It would become the third stone house in Bloomfield, following a house built two year earlier by David Grant, and one built a year earlier by Francis Gillette.The house, which was added to the National Historic Register because of the work of Sharon Yusba Steinberg, is now owned by the town of Bloomfield, which is planning a restoration project.------Plot of farm houseFrancis finally recovering from a rattlesnake bite, he continues the trek to Oregon with Lottie and Billy. On their way they encounter a greenhorn English adventurer and his servants, Jason Grimes, murderous outlaws and a wagon train of men heading west to establish farms for their families. They finally find Mr. Tucket's family in the end and start all sorts of businesses with the gold and silver. Billy Becomes a trader to China. Francis and Lottie develop feelings for each other and get married. It ends by saying that Francis thinks about Mr. Grimes before he sleeps every night. It was published in 2000 by Random House.It was later turned into a five-part omnibus, entitled Tucket's Travels, along with the rest of the novels in The Tucket Adventures by Random House and released in 2003.------New York of farm houseClark-Keith House, Caledonia, New York, listed on the NRHP in Livingston CountyClark-Lester House, Lancaster, New York, listed on the NRHP in Erie CountyClark Farm Complex, Lima, New York, listed on the NRHP in Livingston CountyStarr Clark Tin Shop, Mexico, New York, listed on the NRHP in Oswego CountyEzra Clark House, Millerton, New York, listed on the NRHP in Dutchess CountyClark House (Poughkeepsie, New York), listed on the NRHP in Dutchess CountyClark-Dearstyne-Miller Inn, Rensselaer, New York, listed on the NRHP in Renssalaer CountyPeyton Clark Cottage, Saranac Lake or St. Armond, New York, listed on the NRHP in Essex CountyClark House (Syracuse, New York), listed on the NRHP in Onondaga CountyClark House (Ticonderoga, New York), listed on the NRHP in Essex CountyHulet Clark Farmstead, Westtown, New York, listed on the NRHP in Orange County------Oakham Farm of farm houseThe Oakham Farm is a historic farm at 23226 Oakham Farm Lane, near Middleburg in Loudoun County, Virginia. The farm includes 100 acres (40ha) of land north of United States Route 50, with its building complex anchored by a farmhouse built in 1847 and repeatedly altered. The main portion of the farmhouse is a 1920s three-story Classical Revival block, which has the original 1847 two-story Greek Revival house attached as an ell to one side, along with another c. 1840 structure that may have functioned as a separate kitchen. The property was first developed by the Peyton family, with its present buildings dating to the ownership of the Rogers family. During the American Civil War, Oakham was where the irregular Confederate Army unit known as Mosby's Rangers was organized.The farm was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.------House and gardens of farm houseGodolphin House is located at grid reference SW 601 318. The house and gardens were acquired by the National Trust in August 2007. Various events are held throughout the year. The house is approached from the north and consists of three wings around a square courtyard and the front wall of a further building on the south side. The main buildings originally stood to the south of this with two projecting wings. One room of the 16th-century remains in the east range; this has linenfold panelling. Opposite the hall range is the Jacobean range; the north side is castellated and has a loggia of seven bays on the ground floor. Stylistic features here appear to be of the mid 17th-century and suggest that the accepted date for the house of after 1712 is very unlikely. The house is available as a holiday let for approximately three weeks each month when it is not open to the public..------Williams House (New Fairfield, Connecticut) of farm houseThe Williams House is a historic single-family residence located at 5 Williams Road in New Fairfield, Connecticut. The building is a two-and-a-half-story, timber-framed house just outside of the main downtown center of New Fairfield. The date of the building's construction is unknown, as the original paperwork documenting the completion of the structure was destroyed in an 1867 fire. Various architects and historians place the construction between 1800 and 1835, and the National Park Service estimates the building was completed around 1830. The earliest known record of the building comes from an 1835 deed transfer found in neighboring Danbury.The building is significant as it shows the transition between Greek Revival and Federal-style architecture. It was noted as being part of an important farm in the early days of the town. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 2014. It is one of two NRHP listings in New Fairfield, the other being the Cosier-Murphy House.------Hazen Argue of farm houseHazen Robert Argue, PC (January 6, 1921 October 2, 1991) was a Canadian politician who served in the House of Commons and the Senate. He was first elected as a Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) Member of Parliament (MP) in 1945 and was the last leader of the party, from 1960 to 1961. He crossed the floor to the Liberal Party in 1962 and was defeated in 1963. In 1966 he was appointed to the Senate. He entered the federal cabinet in 1980, as the only Saskatchewan representative, with responsibilities for the Canadian Wheat Board. He is well known for being a strong proponent of the proposed Canadian annexation of the Turks and Caicos Islands. He was the first senator ever to have been charged with fraud, in 1989. The charges were eventually dropped as he had been suffering from cancer for a year; he died shortly thereafter in 1991------The Tuleyries of farm houseThe Tuleyries is an ante-bellum estate near White Post, Virginia. The complex was built around 1833 by Colonel Joseph Tuley, Jr., who made the name a pun on his name and the Tuileries Palace. The house is a late Federal style mansion with a domed entrance hall. The house was sold by the Tuley family to Colonel Upton L. Boyce in 1866. In 1903 the property was acquired by Graham F. Blandy, who left over two-thirds of the land to the University of Virginia on his death in 1926. That land is now known as the Blandy Experimental Farm and The Virginia State Arboretum. The remaining property and house remained in the Blandy family. As well as twenty acres of lawn and garden the property includes a further three hundred and eighty six acres of forest and farm.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.------Binks Hess House and Barn of farm houseThe Binks Hess House and Barn are a historic farm property in Marcella, Arkansas. Located just east of Arkansas Highway 14 on Partee Drive, it is a 1-1/2 story dogtrot house, with a side gable roof, weatherboard siding, and a stone pier foundation. A single-story porch, supported by square posts, stands in front of the open breezeway section, which is finished in flushboarding, at the center of the east-facing main facade. An ell extends to the rear. Behind the house stands the barn, built on a transverse crib plan with side shed-roof additions. Both house and barn were built about 1871 for Binks Hess, brother of Marcella's founder Thomas. The barn is believed to be the oldest in Stone County, and the first to use sawn lumber in its construction.The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.