Knowledge About Farm House: Later Career of Farm House
Later career of farm houseBoyd was nominated for Governor of Kentucky in 1848, but declined to run and was replaced by Lazarus W. Powell. In 1852 he moved to Paducah. He was mentioned as a candidate for Vice President of the United States at the 1856 Democratic National Convention, but was never officially nominated; the eventual nominee was fellow Kentuckian John C. Breckinridge.Kentucky voters elected Boyd the 16th Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky in 1859, but he died shortly thereafter. This became significant with the onset of the Civil War. Governor Beriah Magoffin, who supported slavery, secession and states' rights, became increasingly unpopular and distrusted as Kentucky sought to maintain a neutral course between the Union and the Confederate States of America. Unionists held a two-thirds majority in both houses of the Kentucky General Assembly in summer 1861 and frequently overrode Magoffin's vetos. By August 1862 Magoffin made it clear that he was willing to resign the governorship. However, due to Linn Boyd's death, the person next in line to become Governor of Kentucky was Speaker of the Senate John F. Fisk, whom Magoffin thought unacceptable. After Fisk resigned as Speaker and was replaced by James F. Robinson, Magoffin resigned. Thus, Robinson became governor and Fisk was reinstalled as Speaker of the Senate.------John Read (Connecticut politician) of farm houseJohn Reed (1633 1730) was a member of the Connecticut House of Representatives from Norwalk, Connecticut Colony in the May 1715 and October 1717 sessions.He was the son of James Reed.He was an officer in Oliver Cromwell's new model army, and a soldier from the age of sixteen. When Charles II of England was restored to the throne, Reed left for America. He settled first in Providence, Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. In Providence, he married Anne Samson Derby. He later moved to Rye, Province of New York, in 1684, where he lived for three or four years. He then established himself in the western part of Norwalk, at a house he built on the eastern side of the Five Mile River, north of the Old Post Road and nearly two miles from the Long Island Sound at a place called Reed's Farms. His name is found among the records of the town of Norwalk in 1687. John Reed was admitted to the bar in 1708 in Norwalk, Connecticut. His house was used for a meeting place for some years. His wife died and he married again to the Widow Scofield from Stamford.He died in Norwalk, in the ninety-eighth year of his age, in 1730, and was interred in a tomb on his own farm.------Nat Patton of farm houseNat Patton (February 26, 1881 July 27, 1957), also known as "Cousin Nat", was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from the 7th District of Texas from 1935 to 1945.Patton was born on a farm near tiny Tadmor in Houston County near Crockett in east Texas. He attended rural schools and Sam Houston Normal School in Huntsville. He taught in the rural and high schools from 1899 to 1918. He was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1912, attended law school at the University of Texas at Austin, was admitted to the bar in 1918, and began his law practice in Crockett.During the First World War, Patton enlisted in the United States Army but was never sworn in because the armistice was signed. Patton was elected in 1918 as county judge of Houston County and served until 1922. He served in the Texas State Senate from 1929 to 1934. He was also a delegate to the Texas Democratic state conventions in 1924 and 1935. In 1934, Patton was elected to the Seventy-fourth and then to the four succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1935 January 3, 1945). Patton was defeated for renomination in 1944 by Tom Pickett, and resumed the practice of law in Crockett until his death; he is interred there in Evergreen Memorial Park.He was a member of the Miller group in Washington.------Nicholas Schoenenberger House and Barn of farm houseThe Nicholas Schoenenberger House and Barn is a historic residence located south of Winterset, Iowa, United States. Nicholas and Louisa (Tinnis) Schoenenberger were both natives of what is now Germany and acquired the title to this farm in 1856. He worked the land until the late nineteenth century, and died here in 1902. Since his death the house has been vacant for long periods of time. This house is an early example of a vernacular limestone farmhouse. The two-story gable structure is composed of locally quarried finished cut stone on the public facades, the quoins, and the jambs. Rubble stone is used on the other elevations. It also features dressed lintels and window sills. Because it is located on a south facing hillside, the house has a split-level appearance. Because it shares characteristics with other stone houses built in Madison County by local stonemason Caleb Clark, he may have been responsible for its construction. The lower level of the English-style barn is composed of coursed limestone rubble, and the upper level is composed of board-and-batten siding. It is located in a German-style hill setting. The house and barn were listed together on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.------History of farm houseThe community was established in the 1870s near a bend on the Colorado River and named Bowser Bend. The community was based around the farm of Mr. Sim Witted and the local ford of the Colorado was called Whitted Crossing. They had a Farmer Alliance store, a school house, a church, a post office, and even a cotton gin, but as buildings were frequently destroyed by flooding, starting in the late 1880s when the school house burned, new buildings were erected on higher ground about a mile and a half south of Bowser Bend, with the new elevation at 1312ft. A new post office opened there in 1892 and operated until 1921, when mail came out of the Mercury Post Office, some 8 miles to the west. Today, Bowser lies near the intersection of Farm Roads 45 and 765.With the advent of good paved roads, the population shrank. By the 1980s, Bowser was mostly a ghost town, with only two abandoned residences and the old school house still standing, but the Methodist church was still in use. The Church of Christ church, the Baptist church and the Holiness tabernacle had all been torn down. However, beginning in the 1990s and following, people seeking rural locations moved into the area.------Canal and railways of farm houseThe Wilts and Berks Canal, opened in this area in 1801, completed in 1810 and abandoned in 1914, passed through the far south of the parish on its route to Swindon. Tockenham Reservoir, on both sides of the boundary with Lyneham parish, supplied the canal with water. A flight of seven locks lifted the canal over rising ground; restoration of four of these was started in 2005.The Great Western Main Line, Brunel's route from London to Bath and Bristol, was built just to the north of the canal and opened in 1841. In 1903 the more direct route to South Wales was completed with the opening of the Badminton line, diverging from the older line at Wootton Bassett and passing close to the south of Brinkworth village. Both lines are still in use.Brinkworth railway stationBrinkworth station, on the southern outskirts of the village near the road to Dauntsey and Grittenham, was opened at the same time as the Badminton Line in 1903. There were two platforms with buildings of brick and stone, a footbridge, goods yard and cattle pens, and a station master's house next to the road. Traffic (both goods and passengers) was always light and the station closed in 1961. The station was demolished but the house remains as a private residence.------Agricultural village of farm houseIn 1846 a wealthy Englishman, Herbert Vigne, bought Weltevreden. He established a freehold agricultural village on Weltevreden in 1854, keeping two small portions for himself and bequeathing the remainder of the farm as commonage. He named the village "Greyton", after Sir George Grey, the then Governor of the Cape.Village layoutThe layout of the village was designed and set out by J G Rietz, a senior surveyor at the time, and remains essentially the same with only a few changes and additions through the years. The various sized properties were made available to buyers of any race, nationality or religion at affordable prices. This was the only town in the Cape in which such land with full title deeds, water rights and grazing rights was for sale to anyone.In the 1860s Herbert married a young girl of British stock named Elizabeth Belshaw 27 years his junior. They settled on their farm, De Bos, in the village (subsequently subdivided by his heirs after his death in 1895). Within fifty years, a dedicated community of people had built houses, established businesses and smallholdings, opened a school and built two churches in the town. Here they lived together in peace, harmony and religious tolerance.------Garrett Withers of farm houseGarrett Lee Withers (June 21, 1884 April 30, 1953), a Democrat, represented Kentucky in the United States Senate and United States House of Representatives.Withers was born on a farm in Webster County, Kentucky. He was admitted to the bar in 1908 and was a practicing attorney in Webster County, 1911-1953. He was elected clerk of Webster County Circuit Court and served 1910-1912, and was master commissioner there 1913-1917. He served as a member of the Kentucky Highway Commission 1932-1936; as a Referee in Bankruptcy 1941-1945; and as an appointed commissioner for the Kentucky Department of Highways 1947-1949. He was appointed on January 20, 1949, as a Democrat to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Alben W. Barkley to become Vice President of the United States. Withers served from January 20, 1949, to November 26, 1950. Withers was not a candidate for election to the seat to which he was appointed.Withers won election to the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1951 and then won a special election (due to the death of Rep. John A. Whitaker) on August 2, 1952 to the United States House of Representatives. He served as a Democrat in the Eighty-second Congress and was reelected to the Eighty-third Congress. He served from August 2, 1952, until his death in the naval hospital at Bethesda, Maryland on April 30, 1953.------William Alvin Pittenger of farm houseWilliam Alvin Pittenger (December 29, 1885 November 26, 1951) was a United States Representative from Minnesota's 8th congressional district. He was born on a farm near Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana and attended rural schools. Pittenger graduated from Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana, in 1909, and from Harvard Law School in 1912. He was admitted to the bar in 1912 and opened a law practice in Duluth, Minnesota.Pittenger served as a member of the Minnesota House of Representatives from 1917 to 1920, and was elected as a Republican to the 71st and 72nd congresses, serving from March 4, 1929 until March 3, 1933. He ran unsuccessfully for reelection in 1932 and resumed his practice of law in Duluth, Minnesota. He was again elected to the 74th congress, in which he served from January 3, 1935 until January 3, 1937, but was defeated in his bid for reelection to the 75th congress in 1936. He served again in the 76th, 77th, 78th, and 79th congresses, from January 3, 1939 until January 3, 1947. In 1946 he lost his bid for re-election to the 80th Congress. He made one more attempt in 1950 to reclaim his old house seat, but was defeated 63% to 37%.After his retirement from politics, Pittenger again resumed the practice of law, and died in Duluth, Minnesota, on November 26, 1951. He is buried in Forest Hill Cemetery.